(Journey in a Broken World )
Article by Marc Aupiais
Canon 1246, of the Universal law of the Church: Canon Law, demands: that in addition to Sundays: unless a bishops conference transfers, or alters, with Vatican permission: such: 10 days of Obligation are to be celebrated in the Holy Church. If this is revoked: it needs permission by the Vatican. South Africa has published no information on these in South Africa: to my knowledge: for this reason: we shall simply give the dates of each of these: and assume until further notice: that we are obligated to attend on these: (In South Africa: one must attend on three days other than Sundays: c.f. Days of Holy Obligation in South Africa)
Holy Days of Obligation in the Universal Church: (Day in Red, date in black)
1) The Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ : Which is on 25th December: yearly (Christmas Day).
4) The Body and Blood of Christ : Which is on the Thursday after Trinity Sunday, which is the Sunday after Pentecost, which is also a Sunday. (11 days aft Pentecost: given below)
5) Holy Mary: the Mother of God : Which is on 1st of January: yearly
6) The Immaculate Conception of Mary : Which is on 8th December, Yearly
7) The Assumption into Heaven: of the blessed Virgin Mary : Which is on 15th August, yearly
8) Saint Joseph : Which is on 19th March, yearly.
9) Saint Peter and Saint Paul the Apostles : Which is on 29 June, yearly.
10) All Saints : Which is on 1st November, yearly.
Much of this information is based on:
Some canons of note: